Our volunteers are the heart and soul of Coastguard.
Without thousands of Coastguard volunteers nationwide answering the call of their communities, New Zealand would have no maritime search and rescue service. Our volunteers are the ones on the frontline, crewing rescue vessels and aircraft, operating radios, coordinating search and rescue incidents, and saving lives at sea. The vast majority of Coastguard units are run entirely by volunteers, some of whom fill a number of administrative roles so, even if you only have a few hours per month to give or don’t fancy the water - there’s a role for you.
Answer the call of your community and become a Coastguard volunteer
You'll get an amazing sense of reward and camaraderie, mental and physical challenges, and the priceless opportunity to save lives on the water.
- An exciting and challenging role
- First class Maritime qualifications & training
- Management & teamwork skills
- Risk assessment experience
- Personal development
- Clear pathways for progression
- New friendships with like-minded people