Coastguard Unit Safety Coordinator Volunteer - Mackenzie Lakes
The health and safety of Coastguard’s 2,000-strong volunteer base is an absolute priority for us and something we take very seriously. With volunteers putting themselves in risky scenarios in order to save lives at sea, positions such as Unit Safety Coordinator are key. Unit Safety Coordinators are the champions of all aspects of Health and Safety so that every volunteer returns home safely, every day.
Creating a transparent and safe working environment means Unit Safety Coordinators need strong and proactive relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders. This includes unit volunteers, regional staff, the Unit Crew Coordinator, Safety Coordinators in other Units, surveyors, Coastguard New Zealand and Maritime New Zealand.
- Advocate for and promote a strong safety culture within the unit
- Maintain vessel documentation and liaise with the Regional Operations Manager to ensure that unit vessels are current in their certification
- Carry out regular system reviews as detailed within the Unit MOSS manual (Section 7)
- Participate in, or contribute to, the induction of new Coastguard unit volunteers and provide appropriate Health & Safety and Hazard Identification information
- Ensure all faults or maintenance issues are reported and rectified in the Unit building(s), vessels, aircraft and all safety equipment, whilst managing the regular maintenance of vessels, aircraft and safety equipment within agreed budgets
- Undertake regular vessel and Unit Hazard Identification and mitigation and related record keeping as required by the Unit MOSS Manual (Section 4), VAULT CNZ HSMS and Health and Safety Policies
What we’re looking for from you:
An effective Unit Safety Coordinator is someone who has a good understanding of the Maritime Operator Safety System (MOSS) and Health & Safety regulations and requirements and is:
- Qualified to Health and Safety Rep level 1
- Able to interact and communicate well with others
- Great at working in a collaborative way with others to achieve required outcomes well organised and methodical
- Able to contribute sufficient time to the role